Raglan Pattern Tour: Jalie 3245 Raglan tee, Racer Back Tank, and Tunics

Hello Lovelies! I just got back from a day at Quiltcon 2016. I'll be writing about this and posting pictures on Sunday, so if you're interested in how it feels to be there all by yourself, come back and check it out this weekend. :P

Today on the Raglan Review I am featuring Jalie Raglan Tee!
I just need to move my scheduled date to Friday. It seems I can't get it posted any earlier! Alas, let's talk sewing.


This is the first Jalie pattern I've sewn and I am pretty impressed. There is all the quality that you would get from a big 4 pattern but you're purchasing from an independent designer. Lots of people think that Jalie is a conglomerate, but in reality it's a mother / daughter team who do all the designing / drafting / pattern support! Which is pretty cool. I love supporting home businesses.


The pattern actually does double duty. You get a raglan AND a tank top pattern. The Jalie girls are so nifty - they make the top of each shirt separate so you only have to print it once, you can put on the raglan top or the tank top and tape it to the bottom hem (which is the same for either!) 


Most all of Jalie's patterns come in size 12 months to size 22! This one is no different - you get to make mommy and me matching outfits (if that's your thing.) for the price of one pattern. Their patterns are in English and French so some of the charts I had to look at for a long time before I was able to find the area I needed. (Mainly the size charts because there are SO many sizes and in European and US sizes.) Jalie doesn't offer layered printing - so that means you are printing ALL the sizes and they aren't color coded, yet it wasn't too difficult to decipher which line was which. 


The patterns all all notched and they lined up SO smoothly and accurately. I was super surprised by this. So many PDF's don't line up EXACTLY, but this one did! One thing that was a little unique is that all the written instructions are on one page and all the drawn instructions are on another. Raglans are so self-explanatory, but I can see it being a little confusing if you're a complete beginner or if you were sewing a more complicated pattern.


The arms of this raglan aren't the most flattering. I seem to have some extra fabric in the armpit area and does a fold over. It doesn't really bother me while I'm wearing it, but I do notice it in the pictures.  Also, I was under the assumption that the sleeves were 3/4 length, however, they turned out to be more ..... 1/2 length. Next time I would lengthen them. Maybe I have crazy long arms? The curved hem is very flattering though.


I got the cute elephant knit from Girl Charlee awhile back. The blue is from when I FIRST started sewing when I wanted to make a pencil skirt that never happened. It's terrible quality - no spandex in it. Ugh. I tried to do the blue as the neckband before I realized it had no recovery. Then I did the black as the neckband and it was too long because it was TOO stretchy. So I actually picked 


Who should sew the Jalie Raglan Tee?
Anyone who likes a shaped loose fit tee with classic raglan appeal and anyone who doesn't want to purchase multiple raglan patterns! Also, people who don't need a ton of "hand holding" or are familiar with typical big 4 patterns. Someone looking for traditional explanations and top notch "notching!" :)

Sizes
12 months - 22 women's
Printable pattern pages/copy shop version
Printable pattern pages
Skill Level
Intermediate
Measurements for Rectangles
No
Line Drawings
Yes
Size made
US size 6, Jalie size "S"
Options choosen
Regular / 3/4 length sleeves
Fabric Requirement for your size
7/8 body
5/8 for sleeves
Measurement Chart
Yes, body and finished garment
Cutting Instructions
No
Pattern Printing Layout
Yes
Cutting Layout
Yes
Suggested Fabrics
Knits
Layer Printing Option
No
Neck Line Options
Scoop neck
Sleeve Options
3/4 and Long
Hem Options
Curved
Color Blocking
Yes
Seam Allowance
1/4"
Hem Allowance
3/4"
Separate add-on pack
No
Fit
Fitted
Easy to read instructions
Intermediate
Drawing or photograph instructions
Drawings


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you pointed out the weirdness in the high bust because I saw it too. If you shorten the pattern across the entire front at the high bust, you'll smooth out that wrinkle. You may need to add a touch back in at the hem, but it'll clear that wrinkle. I'll be blogging about it soon over at sewingbyti.blogspot.com We're almost done with this raglan series,so keep on going!

    ReplyDelete